painting options for double-wide

Old 01-31-09, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
painting options for double-wide

Hi everyone, I live in a 2000 manufactured double-wide and I'd love to tackle some wall redecorating but I'm not sure of my options. The walls are a paneling with a smooth wallpaper-texture (but I don't think it's wallpaper). And with seams covered with strips. I've read that it's best to use a textured paint or faux finish on this. Does anyone have experience with fixing up such walls? I'm also interested in clay plaster if anyone has experience with that.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-09, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Many mobile homes/double wides have some type of decorative paneling installed. Many forums posters are confused because they think it is wallpaper with some type of molding or plastic strips in between.

Wash down walls with TSP (trisodium phosphate), ammonia/water solution, or degreaser, and rinse a minimum of two times to remove all residues. Remove the strips. Fill with spackle. Sand to smooth so gaps appear to invisible. Prime with a couple coats of oil-based primer/sealer and apply a couple coats of latex paint in a color that will complement your color scheme.

While there are many textured finishes from adding sand to paint for a granulated finish to Venetian plaster, there are just as many internet forum posts asking how to eliminate these textured finishes. I have a shelf full of books on textured finishes and faux finishing. Current observation is that these tend to have taken a back seat to the many current wonderful paint colors for walls. This is the most exciting time in the world of color since the 80s. Even the decorating police tend to shake their fingers at wallpaper and wallpaper borders, favoring paint. There's nothing like a good smooth wall with a good paint color that complements the color scheme.

Old 02-01-09, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
1 coat of a solvent based primer over a clean wall should be sufficent. 2 coats of finish paint is best but you might get by with 1 if the primer is tinted. IMO it's better to leave the strips that are at the 4' intervals. Removing and filling with joint compound or spackling will work but if the MH has any movement, they are apt to crack.

There is no need for textured or faux finish unless that is the look you are wanting.