Painting a Kitchen floor?

Old 02-02-00, 06:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We currently have a horrible kitchen floor that needs replacing. It's sticky tiles. Unfortunately, we cannot afford to replace it right now. Could I glue down the tiles that are coming up (what kind of glue?), scrape off the tar-like-stuff between the tiles, and paint the floor for now?

Thanks

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-00, 10:57 AM
Hi:

Know how you feel. We had the same kind of floor in our home when we first moved in.

You can re-attach the loose tiles with tile adhesive. This is available at most hardware stores.

To remove the black adhesive residue, use an old rag and Varsol. Pour the Varsol on the rag and rub the adhesive till it comes off.

I don't recommend you paint the floor. You'll probably have a hard time finding a paint that will adhere properly and will end up with a worse mess than you have now.

Having said that, I will move this over to painting to see if anyone there has an answer for you.

Ted

Old 02-07-00, 04:56 PM
Visiting Guest
YES you can paint the tiles but frankly the paint will cost you as much as new flooring.
Depending on the size of the room finding a remanant sheet linoleum would be better and cheaper. IF you still want to try painting them let me know by e-mail and I will give you the step by step instructions but again once your price out the primer, the paint AND the sealer it will cost the same or MORE then new flooring. I would suggest however to maybe make them look newer you apply some paste wax to them after you glue them down and they may look at least newer then they do now with a nice shine.
Rainie