Painting over Polyutherane?

Old 02-26-00, 10:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

All the woodwork in my house is stained and poly-ed. I want to paint it and am seeking advice on the best method of preparing the wood. Can you prime and paint over poly? Or should I sand everything down to bare wood, or will a light sanding do? (I tried a chemical stripper on a small section and will not try that again!).

I plan to prime the wood with something like Kilz and put on two coats of latex. Is this a fool's project, or should I just replace as much as possible and save some major time and effort?

Old 02-29-00, 04:53 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sanding, yes lightly sand the poly with 220 grit, wipe the dust off (use a tack cloth), and prime with a quality primer. Kilz is good - I use it. In this situation I'd be inclined to use the zinsser BIN. Its a shellac based primer and should provide a better bond.

BTW - as your question proves, the stain and poly is as maintenance free as you can get. The walls will be painted/papered many, many times before the trim neeeds a touchup. It also looks great! Why do you want to make it a maintenance item?

Old 03-05-00, 12:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Yeh, I agree with the other guys suggestion. So often many of us do not prime before we paint again but definitely do the sanding. But doing the priming will really assure the paint to sticking

------------------
Debbie Brown
Decorating Plus...
http://www.decoratingplus.com
Your FAVORITE internet how-to source for faux finishing,
stenciling, picture framing, decorative stamping,
and more! FREE decorating assistance available.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: