How should I paint my garage floor???

Old 02-14-09, 09:21 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How should I paint my garage floor???

I am in the process of doing over my Florida garage and would like to paint the existing smooth concrete floor so it isn't slippery when wet. I am pretty sure the concrete was previously sealed. I have been told many ways to prep the floor as well as what type of finish to use but, to be honest with you, I'm more confused now than I was before I started to research the project. Can anyone tell me what steps should be taken to prepare the floor before I paint it and what paint products are recommended to finish the job???

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-09, 05:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
A lot depends on the current condition of the concrete and which coating you plan to use. Obviously any/all grease needs to be removed. The current sealer may or may not affect the coating you intend to use.

If you can decide which coating you want to use [what you want the finish product to look like] it should be fairly simple to research that product and come up with a good game plan.

Old 02-14-09, 05:29 PM
B
marksr.....Thanks for responding so quickly.

The floor is 20 years old, unpainted and in good shape except for a few minor paint and oil stains. My intent is to garage one car and use the rest of the area for storage and a woodworking shop. My only criteria is that I want a finish that isn't slippery and will not peel or lift from the heat of the tires in the summer. Can you recommend any coating products that will satisfy those conditions??

Old 02-14-09, 05:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Most of the garage floors I've done have been with the H&C stain - it holds up well but I assume like most coatings it will be a little slippery when wet. You will probably want to use one of the epoxy coatings with some type of additive - unfortunately I don't know a lot about them other than that proper prep is key.

Old 02-14-09, 06:23 PM
B
Thanks again marksr.....buzcar

Old 02-14-09, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem. I used an old spray gun that was used to spray primer. I took sand blasting sand, and mix it in with my paint, and sprayed the entire floor. It worked great. I used sand blasting sand because it is a lot cleaner. But, I still ran it through a screen just in case.

It took a few test to get the mix of sand vs paint right.
It was a cheeeep gun, but worked great for what I did with it. You have to keep shaking the gut to keep the sand from settling to the bottom.

Travis

Old 02-16-09, 06:25 PM
B
Sherwin-Williams has a product called shark grip that is added to the stain. The only other viable option is to put down a 2-part epoxy coating. I don't know if shark grip or sand can be added to the epoxy.

Paint is not a viable option.

Old 02-16-09, 10:55 PM
F
Prep test...

Yessir...
Prep is crucial.

One of the main tests to see if concrete will hold a new coating, is a few drops of water is various spots.
* If the drop just sits there, floor ISN'T gonna hold a coating. It's too slick.
* If drop soaks in...in less than a minute, it'll hold decently.

You mention your floor may have been previously sealed.
Try Rust-oleums 2-part Garage-floor Epoxy. There's a Tan, Gray, and a Tint-base. These kits include a Citric-acid etching powder packet. This will "etch" the glossy concrete surface. Needs to be scrubbed in though!!
* Rinse out WELL. Then a few DAYS to dry out.
* Oil spots need to be removed b4 this step however, with separate oil/grease-cleaners.
* Concrete needs to feel like 100-grit sandpaper to hold a coating decent.
* The water-drop test has to be repeated here though!
* You can add an anti-slip powder to this floor epoxy...OR, mix it into a separate Clear-coat from Rust-oleum.

>>> NOTE: Your car is out of the garage FOR A WEEK while the coatings harden-off!!!
Heavier tables, etc., need a day or 3.

After all this work though...you'll have a Showroom!!Beer 4U2

Faron

Old 02-19-09, 11:08 PM
S
I have been told many ways to prep the floor as well as what type of finish to use but, to be honest with you, I'm more confused now than I was before I started to research the project
Do you have a better understanding now? Or is more information needed?