Painting ceiling

Old 03-07-00, 04:16 PM
Gary D
Visiting Guest
Question

I don't know if I have what is called a "popcorn ceiling" or not. It was sprayed on with bits of something like styrofoam and is sized popcorn kernels and smaller.
My ?? is can it be repainted? If so with roller? brush? spray can? It would seem that paint would drip down all over everything and some of the bits of "stuff" would detach to your brush or roller.

I have a small area of water stain, maybe two hand widths over a 10x12 ceiling.
Gary

Old 03-07-00, 07:26 PM
Visiting Guest
You can paint over this sprayed acoustic ceiling. Depending on the method you choose it might not be very fun.

If you choose to roll it - use a roller cover for rough texture. The deeper nap will cover over the foam texture better than a short nap will. You WILL pick up pieces of the foam in the roller.

You can spray it too. If you use an airless sprayer - like a Wagner or a rental - the paint will "atomize" and be very airborne. Be careful to cover everything in the room or remove it. The dust will cover in places that you never imagined. So will tiny little paint droplets.

Make sure to treat the stain before you cover it with paint. Kilz Upshot works pretty well. It sends out quite a dust cloud too. So take heed to earlier caution statement.

------------------
MTAC - VB,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Old 03-08-00, 06:57 PM
Gary D
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for your help on both questions.

Gary

Search this Thread