Painting Trim work - Interior

Old 03-21-00, 10:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

What are the color "rules" for painting trim work such as baseboards, crown molding, doors, & windows? Do the baseboard and crown molding have to match? Or does the baseboard and wall color have to match.

I would like to paint my walls a light tan with the baseboards and crown molding in a light beige. But, I would like to leave my windowsills and doors white. Will my room clash?

Old 03-21-00, 08:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Usually trim is slightly darker than the walls. Walls are usually flat, eggshell, or semi-gloss. Trim is usually semi-gloss or gloss.

Trim includes any thing not the wall proper: baseboard, crown mold, casing, sills, etc.

You could try buying just a quart of each color and do some sample matching around the house where these combinations would be, and see if they clash or are appealing to your eye.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

Old 03-22-00, 09:19 AM
Visiting Guest
I think it's just a matter of personal taste. It depends on the "look" you are trying to achieve. I just finished two rooms (kid's bedrooms) that were totally different from each other. I tried to reflect their personalities. My daughter is like sunshine, so I painted her room a bright yellow, and *all* the trim work (baseboards and window sill) is colonial blue to match the trim in her bedspread. I even painted the door blue! It may look weird to some, but she loves it. I had reservations at first, but when I was done, I was very happy with it. My son is more of the night shades, so I did one wall a moonlight blue (very dark) and the rest a lighter shade. Looks great! My point is, just use your imagination. You are the one who has to live with it. If you like it, then it will work.

HTH,
Armella

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: