#1 trim painting, #2 dark colored walls

Old 04-09-00, 09:49 PM
Visiting Guest
I have two questions, first I want to paint all my dark stained trim and doors white. Any recommendations or tips? Second I am considering painting my son's walls medium blue they are currently white, will they blue cover the white ok,do I need to prime first? They paint on the walls is about 2 years old and in good shape.

Old 04-10-00, 04:52 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First - the paint question. No, you do not need to prime first. Plan on at least two coats of paint. Darker colors have more pigment. The more pigment, the harder to get it evenly distributed. I did my daughter's room in a medium blue and two coats were fine. Before I could take a close look to see if it needed another coat, she had stuff on the walls. She has so many things on the wall, you can't tell how good the paint job was :-)

Now the stain - why do you want to take something almost maintenance free and turn it into a maintenance item? If you must procede, sand with 400 grit sandpaper. Use a tack cloth to remove all dust. Some experts would now recommend a liquid sandpaper - its up to you. Prime with a quality primer - zinssers BIN or Benjamin Moores Fresh Start. Sand the doors with the 400 grit paper again. Top coat with a quality paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: