Please help! Need to paint over bright and bold colors

Old 02-18-09, 07:26 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help! Need to paint over bright and bold colors

My husband and I are closing on our first house on the 28th and we have a lot of painting ahead of us. We need advice on what we need to do because neither of us have painted over colors like the house has now. The living room, family room and a bathroom are painted bright teal, the master bedroom is red, one bedroom is neon orange and the other bedroom is neon green. The only areas in the house that are still white are the kitchen, master bathroom and laundry room. I know we will need to primer first before painting the rooms the colors we decide to do but not sure what type of primer is best that is odorless or has minimal odor. Can we use the same primer everywhere or do we need different ones based on the current wall color? Any suggestions is much appreciated!

Old 02-18-09, 09:17 PM
F
Clean-up 1st!!

B4 doing anything...wash/clean the walls first!
(I'd use POWDERED Dirtex. Often needs no rinsing!)

Dust-off all trims b4 taping.
Get all wall repairs done, sanded flush, & remove ALL dust.

NOW you're ready to prime! Beer 4U2
* My fave primer is C2-ONE. Not much odor!
* Zinsser 123 is another good Latex, but smells terrible IMO.
* Lots of other good primers out there too. Avoid the "Sub $15/gal" types!
* If you're paying around $17-$22/gal., it's decent primer.
* I'd avoid Kilz...there's better choices.
* These primers can be used anywhere.
* Unless you're gonna use real deep tones, White primer is fine.

You don't have to completely block the other colors. Primers are a LITTLE more sheer than paints. Just apply a good/full coat.
>>> Two topcoats of paint though!

Faron

Old 02-19-09, 09:13 PM
S
If the previous paint is flat paint, you don't need a primer. Use two coats of a good hiding paint.

If the previous paint is glossy you can use a waterbased bonding primer. Xim UMA is the very best (in my humble opinion) waterborne bonding primer and it can be used over everything, but the surface must first be clean. UMA is not cheap, but the adhesion is fabulous and the hide is good. 123Bullseye is OK too, but if you have hard, glossy paint (oil or latex) UMA will do a better job.

Dirtex is a good cleaner, another is Gloss Off waterbased deglosser.

Note: If you are converting from a hard, glossy oil to a flat latex paint, you should use shellac (or oil, but the oil universal primers are far worse than shellac in terms of odor) primer. Shellac is going to have some odor so you will have to ventilate well during and after priming, but it will get the job done. You always run the risk of a crackle finish converting from a hard glossy oil to a latex flat using a latex or waterborne primer.

Last edited by Slatz; 02-19-09 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-02-09, 07:09 AM
B
This is not widely observed but for coverage and color clarity priming or undercoating over all your wild colors with white is the easiest and simply the best thing to do. One or two coats of high hiding primer or underbody is best, much better coverage than any finish paint, after all, that is what they are formulated for. If in doubt try a sample of your finish color in one or two coats over an area, then try your finish color over white. The finish over white will be a cleaner and clearer definition of the color.

Check it out,

Bill

Old 03-02-09, 08:40 AM
S
Bigg_Billy's points are good and quite valid, and I agree.

Technically, you should always start with white as a base if you wish to have the truest and cleanest color. It wouldn't matter if the old paint was neon orange or pastel blue. Starting with white will give you the truest color.

Practically speaking, this is rarely done, because the resulting color difference is negligible. The problem with the "block out with white" approach is that it usually takes two coats of primer to get to white to start with. The two extra coats is usually deemed not worth the while, because the resulting color difference is negligible.

Having said that, bright colors (neon orange, bright teal etc..) are easy to block out (with either primer or good hiding paint mixed from a white base). It is harder to block out a deep tone when you are finish painting with some off whites (creamy yellow whites in particular that have no black, umber, or gold etc..). For this reason, painters will often prime over deep tones (and usually only once - even though it will not totally block out the deep tone in one coat), before painting with light colors.

Last edited by Slatz; 03-02-09 at 09:07 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: