paint comparison

Old 05-09-00, 06:36 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm still trying to select a paint. Kelly Moore makes the color I want, but I have to drive 25 miles to get it. I can get Lucite locally, using KM's formula. Both paints are manufacturer's best quality. Is factory mixed paint more uniform in hue than that mixed in the store. Is Lucite equal to KM in flat, satin, and semi-gloss?
ajp

Old 05-10-00, 11:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Lucite is a Trademark owned by PPG. They also own Pittsburg Paint trademark.
Paints tinted by the manufacturer will almost always possess better qualities.
Most Paint Manufactures produce good quality products. You will find that even if you purchase SUPERMANS BEST PAINT it will not last unless you prepare the surface and apply it properly. I have been in the paint and coatings chemical research for over 10 years and I have found this to be true.
Pay more attention to the percent of SOLIDS a paint has and what those solids are. In lower grades of paint you will have a lower percent of solids. In a lower grade of paint the solids can also be clay. This is why the have little durability and gloss retention.
A good grade of paint will have a High Solid content and the solids will be titanium Dioxide. (A metal) Get a few color samples and let them dry on their own. If you apply heat to a coating like most people with a blow dryer at the paint counter when buying it will cause the paint to flash quikly and lessen the gloss. Personally I like the properties of PITTSBURG PAINT the MANOR HALL SERIES.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ajp
I'm still trying to select a paint. Kelly Moore makes the color I want, but I have to drive 25 miles to get it. I can get Lucite locally, using KM's formula. Both paints are manufacturer's best quality. Is factory mixed paint more uniform in hue than that mixed in the store. Is Lucite equal to KM in flat, satin, and semi-gloss?
ajp
<HR>

------------------
Gary Goel/Owner Newkote Kitchen & Bath Refinishing
We are just a shade better...
gary@newkote.com

Old 05-12-00, 05:39 PM
Visiting Guest
The last reply is right on as far as solid content, etc..Try to use top of the line Benjamin Moore. You may pay a little more but that's for a good reason.....it's real PAINT !!!!! Good Luck!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: