bathroom primer

Old 02-22-09, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom primer

i am in the process of remodeling our bathroom and looking for the best primer to use. i just finished hanging new mold/moisture resistant sheetrock and was looking for some advice as to the best primer. bin, zinsser, or some type of sherwin williams brand primer. i will be top coating with a sherwin williams eggshell. any input is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-09, 07:40 PM
Don't use KILZ - whatever you do!

I am not sure what primer to recommend only to say DON'T use KILZ. I just put up some new greenboard in my bathroom and listened to a friend who recommended KILZ Premium due to its anit-mildew properties. What a disaster - it did not stick to the mud/joint compound and peeled off in sheets!

Do me a favor and let me know what you end up using and how it worked.

Thanks!

Old 02-22-09, 09:59 PM
Vacuum the dust off the walls before priming.

I would use a standard, time tested PVA primer (Promar 200 primer will work) on new drywall. I have seen and heard of 100% acrylics failing on new drywall.

After priming, you will find that Zinsser's Perma White is an excellent paint for bathrooms. Do two coats of the Perma White and you will have a mold, mildew and moisture resistant finish.

Old 02-23-09, 05:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Zinnser's BIN would be overkill. I agree with Slatz that the promar line of primers would work well. The folks at SWP should be able to help you pick the best primer to go under their eggshell enamel.

Old 02-23-09, 08:29 PM
thanks to all for advice/recommendations. guess when i buy the paint i'll ask about the primer too. it's good to know as much as you can when you are a weekend warrior. when i get to it, i'll post the products and their results. thanks again guys.

Old 03-01-09, 08:07 AM
I always use oil based paint for finish in bathrooms, Ben Moore Satin Impervo. Prime the bare sheetrock with either of the prior recommendations or a Ben Moore latex primer, then an oil primer, then the Satin Impervo, you'll be set for life.

Billy