high quality paint?

Old 04-29-00, 03:28 PM
Visiting Guest
I read and have heard to use "high quality" paint. How do I identify high quality? Consumer Report lists a Walmart paint as a best buy, but it is $10 less than most paints. I don't want to buy "cheap" paint but I would like to use inexpensive high quality paint if I knew how to judge a paint by its label or on recommendation.

[This message has been edited by ajp (edited April 29, 2000).]

Old 04-29-00, 08:40 PM
Visiting Guest
FYI - Walmart paint is manufactured by Sherwin-Williams. It is not equal gallon for gallon, but if you were to use Walmart's best paint, it would probably suffice.

Personally and professionally - I use Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore whenever I have a choice. I use Minwax stains and clearcoats also.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

Old 05-01-00, 05:14 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I, too, always buy my paint from a paint store. The paint store formulas will go on easier and last longer and be easier to clean.

Old 05-12-00, 06:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Forget that Walmart paint, whether it's made by S.W. or not, it's TRASH. You'll be doing the job over again in a year or so. Use top of the line Benjamin Moore and you won't regret it. You'll pay a little more ( $24.00 to $28.00 a gallon ) but it will last!!!

Old 05-19-00, 08:35 AM
Visiting Guest
My father was a very meticulous painter and ONLY used Benjamen Moore paint. He said prepaing the surface was just as important as the paint. He could get ten plus years out of his exterior Oil based paint. It was not uncomman to see him sanding the house down to the bare siding in spots!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: