painting over wallpaper

Old 06-07-00, 06:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Although you might not agree that this is a good idea, can anyone explain a good technique for painting over existing wallpaper on the walls?

Old 06-09-00, 02:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Use a roller, and don't get the paper too wet with paint, as that may cause the paper to come loose and "bubble" in places. If one coat doesn't cover, allow the paint to dry thoroughly before applying a second coat.I painted over a very dark flowered paper with a good brand of latex paint and it worked well. Good luck!

Old 06-09-00, 08:55 PM
Visiting Guest
If the paper is good and tight on the wall it should be okay. The problem you run into is bubbling. I would test a small area first to see what it does then decide.

Old 06-10-00, 09:12 PM
Daucsset
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Another solution to painting over the wallpaper is to put up fabric over the wall. This works great if the wall has no windows or doors in it. I did this and it turned out great. Added some silk ivy and flowers and it really added to it. everyone comments on it when the walk into the house. Price... cheap went to a discount store for the fabric and got it for a 1.00 a yard... just make some pockets for curtain rods to go through and hang on the wall. just an idea.....

Old 06-12-00, 04:42 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Prime first with an oil-based primer. Then topcoat with the latex (acrylic) of your choce.

Itsimportant to use an oil-based primer to keep water away from the paste.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: