Removing paint over spray from an acrylic tub~

Old 03-04-09, 08:12 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Removing paint over spray from an acrylic tub~

I recently had the interior of my house painted and the paint company I used did a poor job and were very messy getting paint on a multitude of surfaces, one being my acrylic jacuzzi tub in my master bath. Does anyone know what I can use to remove the paint spots safely without damaging or scratching the tub surface?
What about denatured alcohol??

Thanks~

Old 03-04-09, 09:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Back when I was an apprentice an old painter told me there isn't any shame in getting paint on items/areas that aren't supposed to get paint on them the shame is in leaving it there! Paint is easy to get up when it's still wet.
Any luck getting the "painters" to come back and clean it up? have you paid them yet?

Denatured alcohol might work, products like 'goof off' or 'oops' might also work. Be sure to test on a small area first! A coarse rag lubricated with soap and water with a lot of elbow grease might be the best bet.

Old 03-04-09, 01:47 PM
T
Well, I was trying to be nice and not get all frustrated about the stinking painters~!! LOL It is a shame to leave it there!! They did a terrible job, broke a couple of my chandeliers, got paint on carpet, tile, among other things, never said a word about the things they broke!!! They only received a partial payment pre-job, but the remainder of what I was suppose to pay, no way was I paying them!! Funny thing is I never received a bill, the owner never called us, nothing~!!! So they knew what an awful job they did!!
Anyway I was going to try goo, and ooops but they say on the label that it will remove part of the finish!! So thats out! I have used good ole elbow grease and only got some off. A friend told me to try Bar Keepers friend, but you have to scrub so hard to get the paint off it scratches the tub!!!
So I have been trying to find something for a few months that wouldn't harm the finish on the tub.

Old 03-04-09, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Alcohol won't hurt the finish..and you can try the other things in a corner out of the way. There are also citrus versions of the removers that shoudn't hurt anything. I've also used Krud Kutter to soften paint and adhesives. You need to keep it damp with the spray for a while..but it should come right off with a plastic putty knife or a non-abrasive scrubber.

Old 03-04-09, 03:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
It m ight be a good idea to keep a log of your time and expenses to fix what they messed up - just incase they ever try to bill you.

I broke one of the globes on a chandelier once, with a roller pole, ran all over town to find an exact replacement, the homeowner came home as I was replacing it - only to say 'the electrician is coming next week to take down that ugly thing and install a nicer light'

Did you ask for and check references before you hired them? I'm sure you will next time

Old 03-05-09, 09:50 AM
T
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
It m ight be a good idea to keep a log of your time and expenses to fix what they messed up - just incase they ever try to bill you.

I broke one of the globes on a chandelier once, with a roller pole, ran all over town to find an exact replacement, the homeowner came home as I was replacing it - only to say 'the electrician is coming next week to take down that ugly thing and install a nicer light'

Did you ask for and check references before you hired them? I'm sure you will next time

Most definitely I used a very reputable painter in my area, loads of great references, and he had done some work for one of my good friends it looked fine!! so I guess that just goes to show you never know~!!!

I'll give a go at the ideas you all have given me and see if they work!! Thanks so much~!!

Old 03-05-09, 02:32 PM
B
If it hasn't been too long, one of those kitchen pads used to clean non-stick pans may help the elbow grease.
You might also try the cleaners used for solid stove tops.
But as always, try in an area out of the way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: