new paneling queries

Old 06-10-00, 01:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I have read all postings on painting paneling and have 2 new questions.

I just bought a 70's mobile that has almost all walls of dark paneling. Can a sprayer be used to apply the primer and/or topcoats? (I'm painting ceilings and installing new carpeting, so messiness is not a problem.)

Two walls have a grayish fake brick paneling. Anything different I need to know about this? Could I at least paint it brick red?

Old 06-11-00, 05:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Using a sprayer may end up making more work to complete the job. You'll have to tape off/plastic off lights, switch plates, trim, windows, tub and shower, doors and ceiling possibly. Using a sprayer only and not back rolling will lead to "flashing" on the walls or "high spots" where there is a heavy coat of paint. Do the job with a brush and roller.Good Luck!

Old 06-11-00, 08:19 AM
Visiting Guest
I would recomend a stain blocking primer before painting the paneling. You could have some bleed through on the paint.

Old 06-24-00, 03:59 PM
Visiting Guest
I have painted a lot of paneling over the years, and I would recommend using a roller and brush combination to apply the primer and finish coats. Start by brushing along the edges of the paneling, creating a border about 2 inches wide. Then roll the rest by rolling about two roller widths at a time. Immediately after rolling the two stripes, brush the rolled stripes vertically with a brush before the paint has time to dry. This will make the paneling look as if it has been completely brushed and eliminates the roller pattern. There will be no "flashing" or "halo" effect that you would see if you if you had simply rolled the primer up to the edge of the brushed areas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: