painting over adhesive or sizing that won't come off

Old 06-06-00, 07:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

i removed the wallpaper from the walls of a bedroom, but there is some kind of adhesive or maybe sizing that just won't come off. it is a very thin layer and feels almost like rubber or plastic. I have tried Dif and TSP but no luck. can I paint over it if I use an oil based primer? thanks.

Old 06-07-00, 04:16 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That sounds more like the wallpaper backing is still on the walls. How old was this paper? Was it vinyl or other type of glossy surface?

Old 06-07-00, 06:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I don't think it is part of the paper. the paper was not old (I think about 2 years). it was vinyly, and I peeled off the top shiny layer and the paper layer underneath. there was a lot of glue on it and most of the glue came off, except for this very very thin layer of something else. it is not everywhere, it is yellowish brown, and it feels like glue, or almost like rubber cement. It is in blotches on the walls. I can peel off tiny pieces of it in some places (like fingernail size pieces). but I can't seem to get it off with the DIF or TSP. thanks.

Old 06-07-00, 11:24 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Sounds like clay based vinyl adhesive used for hanging fabric backed wallcoverings.Repeated soakings should begin to break it down in time.If this is indeed what you have it will have to be sealed back with an oil primer.

Old 06-24-00, 04:08 PM
Visiting Guest
I have encountered situations where DIF will not remove some adhesives that were used when the paper was applied. There is a wallpaper removing solution made by a company called Safe and Simple (www.safeandsimple.com) that works extremely well. I just finished a job where the paper would not come off, even when using a steamer! But this product did the job. They also make a super strong solution that is ideal for removing adhesives.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: