Wall Murals

Old 06-12-00, 10:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm considering painting a mural on my children's wall(s). I'm sorta artistic, but I've never done anything like this before. Rather than go with a detailed picture, I was thinking of doing a "background" look using "watered down" paint and doing large things like trees and such (easy stuff). What type of base surface should I have and what type of colored paints should I use? Also, what would you recommend to make the paints have the washed, background effect? Or, do you think I'm totally off my rocker for even thinking about undertaking this project? Any advice is appreciated!

Old 06-13-00, 12:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Sounds like a fun project! Acrylic paint will work on just about any kind of surface.
Thin it down with water to get the "watered down" look you want; you could also mix some white with it. Use a big brush and do the background first; add detail when background is finished. For trees, try using sponges for the leaves. I'd suggest trying to get the paint in jars rather than tubes for a project of this type. Acrylic dries fast and has no odor. You might even let the kids help!

Old 06-13-00, 01:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks, FLY. I appreciate the help. I may get brave enough and do it! My children are aged 8, 3-1/2, 2 & 2. This would be for my 3 and 2 year olds. I might let my oldest help me, but I plan to find to send the littler ones "elsewhere"!

Old 06-26-00, 07:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Hi! I am new to this board and to remodeling/ redecorating in general. I am so pleased to come across this forum! I am thinking of adding a mural to one of the walls in my basement. I found a site for murals through the Christpher Lowell site. It is Dressler Stencils - Home Page at: http://www.dresslerstencils.com/

Old 06-26-00, 07:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

[This message has been edited by Marilyn (edited June 26, 2000).]

Old 06-26-00, 09:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the help. I checked out the website. Might be a possibility. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: