Painting Technique- Elephant Hyde

Old 07-01-00, 04:51 AM
cmdressel
Visiting Guest
I was watching an HGTV show, "Fix It Up", where they demonstarated a painting technique called "Elephant Hyde". You use wall paper paste to put up crinkled butcher paper, then paint the paper. I didn't get all of the directions, and "Fit It Up" doesn't have directions on the HGTV website. I've been looking all over the web, but can't find the directions. Does anyone know how to do this technique? Thanks!

Old 07-01-00, 09:58 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I did't see the show you refer to but I know of a method much like you describe.It involves using brown paper bags that are torn into random sizes,crushed into balls and straightened out leaving a crinkled look.These are pasted and applied randomly and allowed to dry.The more paste you use the smoother the wall will be due to the drawing effect the paste has.Less paste will allow the paper to dry more or less like it looks as it goes up.Most any type of paper will work for these projects.I dont know about the butcher paper but the brown paper looks nice with a clear coat when dry.A pre-mixed clear paste would be best to use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: