painting wood paneling

Old 06-30-00, 08:31 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a room that has wood paneling and I want to paint over it. I know that I have to clean it, prime it, paint it. What type of cleaner and primer should I use?

Old 07-01-00, 04:57 AM
cmdressel
Visiting Guest
b- I'm not an expert at painting, but we did the same thing you're looking to do in our family room. We cleaned the walls with simple soap and water (something that won't leave a residue) and we used Kilz to prime. Stinky, but very effective. It's been 4 years and the paint job still looks pretty good. Most importatntly, you don't see any of the wood color showing through. Good luck.

Old 07-01-00, 05:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You best bet since you have not started yet, is contact Mark, the moderator of the Mobile Home section in this forum. He is an expert on painting paneling.

Old 07-02-00, 08:00 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by bmcdonald:
I have a room that has wood paneling and I want to paint over it. I know that I have to clean it, prime it, paint it. What type of cleaner and primer should I use?<HR>

To successfully paint paneling, wash to remove dust,residue, lightly sand to rough up the surface, clean to remove sanding residue and put a good primer on. I use Ben. Moore Fresh Start Alkyd primer. Use two top coats of latex paint. I recommend a satin finish so it can be cleaned when needed. This will give a quality paint job. Be sure to buy a premium paint such as Shermin Williams, Ben. Moore, Glidden.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: