Painting varnished cabinets

Old 07-05-00, 05:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am considering painting solid wood varnished cabinets (kitchen circa 1960)to update a kitchen. What steps need to be taken and is melamine paint the way to go?

Old 07-05-00, 08:44 AM
Visiting Guest
I would wash the cabinets with TSP to get rid of grease and grime. After a dry time, sand the cabinets to rough up the surface. Vacuum to get rid of the dust and then run over the cabinets with a tack rag to get rid of the dust the vacuum missed. I would then use a alkyd primer such as Be. Moore Fresh Start. The primer can be tinted to your final color. I would then apply 2 coats of finished paint to the primed surfaces. I personally prefer the Ben. Moore Impervo paints. The alkyd paint dries with fer brush marks, is harder and I find it easier to clean out a brush with alkyd paint in it than one with latex. Roll the paint on and then brush it out.

I have no information about melamine coatings.

Old 07-05-00, 06:35 PM
Visiting Guest
I agree, use the Benjamin Moore products mentioned. You'll never go wrong using GOOD paint.

Old 07-05-00, 09:32 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I would suggest a mohair roller cover due to the fuzz that polyester and lambs wool will leave in your paint.The nap on the cover I mention will feel like a trimmed up Marines crewcut.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: