Disappointed in my Paint Job

Old 03-10-09, 04:18 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Disappointed in my Paint Job

Our upstairs was sheetrocked a few weeks ago. We bought Sherwin Williams primer and paint. We cut the corners with a brush and rolled one coat of primer. Then we cut the corners with an off white grey, and rolled the walls and ceilings. After that dried, had to roll one more coat.

The walls have an orange peel finish from the sheetrockers.

The problem is the corners, mostly. Brushing really "smoothes" out that texture, and makes it not look too good. The roller we used was 3/8".

Also, my rolling technique may leave a lot to be desired. After two coats of paint, I can still see different "shades" on the ceiling, from the angle of the light from the windows coming into the room. Could it be thicker and thinner paint? I'm sure it's all the same color, but I think the texture underneath may be "smoothed out" in some areas and in some areas it's crisper.

It's not as easy to get a real good paint job as I once thought!

What's the trick to making this kind of stuff not happen? It's flat latex paint. I'm wondering if the paint we use to cut the corners and tops of the walls should be thinned out a bit with water to make it not "fill in" the flat areas of the orange peel texture. As far as the rest of my rolling goes, I have no idea. I'm feeling that the angle of the light coming from the windows is so sharp, it makes the texture different in different areas.

Last edited by Flyboy65; 03-10-09 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-11-09, 03:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Assuming the textue is even, the problem is probably how you applied the paint. A 1/2" nap roller would be better than 3/8. I suspect you are trying to squeeze too much paint out of the roller. You want to apply the paint liberally. Keeping the roller well lubricated with paint makes for a better looking job and is easier than trying to make a roller full of paint go too far.

Which line of SWP paint did you buy?

Old 03-11-09, 08:56 AM
S
The ceiling is showing lap marks and perhaps directional roller pattern (which will reflect the light differently - making the ceiling look "patchy").

You need to use a dead flat (Promar 400) and you will not have that problem. If the previous ceiling was painted in flat, just recoat over it with the Promar 400.

The walls are showing "picture framing". The color and sheen will look a little different with the roller than with a brush. To correct this, roll a second coat on and roll right up the inside corner as closely as possible. To do the ceiling / wall inside corner, you will need to turn the roller sideways at the top to get it in as close to the ceiling as possible.

Old 03-12-09, 06:28 AM
B
Another issue here may be that different gallons of the same color paint, even ceiling white, may actually be different colors. You want to always "box" (mix) multiple gallons together before starting to assure the whole surface, ceiling or walls, receive the same mix. Stirring paint well is also a must, poorly mixed flat paint, will turn out shinier in some places simply because the "flatteners" are not mixed well throughout. Finally, when rolling ceilings always work furthest from the entry door, towards the entry door, and cross roll. This provides good coverage, a leaves the laps less visible.

Bill

Old 03-12-09, 03:27 PM
F
I am using Promar 200 for the paint, and PrepRite 200 for the primer...but not in that order.

These are new sheetrock walls and ceilings, and have never been painted.

Looking closely at the corners, the brushed on paint filled in the areas around the bumps of the orange peel. Not much you can do about it now, but I wonder if the paint we "cut in" with should be thinned out a bit.

Old 03-12-09, 03:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I don't think you applied the paint heavy enough with the roller.

Old 03-12-09, 03:52 PM
F
I'm sure you're right. It takes some time to learn this, and we have a LOT of painting ahead of us...basically our whole 1400 sq ft house...eventually!

Does the primer make much difference? It's going on bare sheetrock and mud. I thought the mud was white, until I primed it, and what a difference! But the primer layer was nothing fancy, I didn't figure it would make much difference. The paint is an off white...grey.

Old 03-12-09, 05:00 PM
S
On the ceiling, your likely problem is technique. You have to be very careful not to "squeeze" paint out of the roller. Only apply enough pressure so that the roller has even contact with the ceiling. A 3/8" roller of ProMar 200 Flat can cover about a single 10' stripe. Go forward and back once, and then roll over the previous stripe forward and back once. After that, leave it alone. Do NOT attempt to cover more than one stripe with a single roller load.

I'm staring at my ProMar 200 ceiling right now, and there is not a single roller mark on it.

On the walls (and ceiling), get as close as you can to the wall without touching using the roller. This will minimize the visible texture difference between the cut-in edges and the rolled surface.

I assume you are using a decent cover, like a Purdy White Dove.

SirWired

Old 03-12-09, 05:11 PM
B
A ceiling is hard to roll evenly. You apply too much pressure overhead, then the further you stretch your arms the less pressure is applied. Get an extension handle for the roller. It helps.

I would guess the same uneven pressure was applied to the walls.

Old 03-12-09, 06:45 PM
F
I'm soaking it all in.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: