Preparing to restain cedar siding

Old 07-15-00, 07:46 AM
Visiting Guest
We just bought a 3 year old home in need of exterior staining/painting. The cedar was originally stained with Olympic Stain according to the records but we don't know whether this was latex or oil. Any suggestions as to how to prepare the surface or what options we have in refinishing?

Old 07-20-00, 05:03 AM
Visiting Guest
The best answer to your question is to simply
read the label on a container of siding stain. I have installed and stained alot of
cedar siding and I follow the manufacturers
directions. There are transparent, semi-transparent, and solid color stains depending on how much of the grain you want to obscure. I use oil based stains but I don't know if water base is any better or worse. You have to realize that the best stain is not as durable as paint so expect
more maintenance.

Old 07-20-00, 05:12 AM
Visiting Guest
I guess the problem is that we don't have the can. When we bought the house, there was a list of paints and stains used for the home, but they read - "Exterior Olympic Stain #xxxx". However that number must have been the builders code as it doesn't match up with Olympic's numbers. Thus we're not sure if it was oil or latex, we're not even sure which color it was. We just wanted to prepare it for repainting or staining and needed to know whether a conventional primer should be used and how the wood should be prepared due to some of stains unique aspects. Thanks for your help though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: