polyurethane on kitchen counter, is it safe?

Old 07-15-00, 09:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am considering painting my kitchen counter tops (replacing them is
not an option at this time). I have learned that I would need to sand,
prime, paint and finally seal with several coats of polyurethane to
protect the finish. I am wondering if this is safe for kitchen counter
tops where food preparation occurs.
If so, what is the beat applicator for the polyurethane?
Thank you for your time.

Old 07-15-00, 11:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Don't waste your time painting kitchen counter tops..you are creating a maintenance problem. The more coats of paint and/or clear coats you put on just increases the chances of the paint delaminating cracking and flaking off.

Old 07-17-00, 03:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Go to Sherwin Williams and ask about high-solids Poly. It is used for stuff like that and it comes in colors. There is also a pourable poly.

Old 07-17-00, 04:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Forget the poly/pourable poly and paint. The minute something hot is set on that finish it's going to blister, crack and chip....you'll have a non-stop project trying to keep them looking nice.

Old 07-25-00, 06:50 PM
Visiting Guest
I agree with JDX and Leer.... save the (considerable) money that you'd spend on the polyurethane paint and supplies, be patient, and do it the "right way" when you are able.

I predict that you'll deeply regret it if you paint any horizontal surface that you use regularly.

If you do ANYTHING, consider having the countertop tiled. A recent issue of This Old House magazine had an article showing how to do that...though the expense to have a pro do it might rival laminate countertops....

Good luck and be patient!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: