removing old paint

Old 07-01-00, 09:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm getting ready to paint the outside of my house and garage. They are fairly large buildings. What is the easiest, most effective method for preparing the surface and remove loose, old paint. Should I power wash, sandblast, or just plain old fashioned scraping? Is there any other method other than the ones I mentioned? Whichever method I end up using does anyone have helpful hints to make it any easier? Thanks!!

Old 07-02-00, 06:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Other than maybe some sanding and lots of elbow grease you've hit on all of them.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by More than a Carpenter (edited July 02, 2000).]

Old 07-02-00, 12:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Powerwash, scrape, sand with a palm sander, remove dust, alkyd oil prime all, latex top coat all. Please, no sandblasting.

Old 07-23-00, 02:25 PM
hy
Visiting Guest
If you are looking to do the job right than all of the old paint has to be removed and water blast is not going to do that. If you have multiple layers of paint on the surface especially if it is lead paint I suggest you use PEEL AWAY i which will do the complete removal in one application. Get a gallon and do your own test.

Old 07-27-00, 12:44 PM
Visiting Guest
I used a power washer to get the paint off my house and it damaged the wood siding. Unless there is a right way and a wrong way, and I did it wrong. I do not suggest a power washer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: