Painting over wallpaper

Old 07-28-00, 06:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I would like to paint over the wallpaper in my bathroom. I don't want to take the paper down for fear of finding bad walls underneath. I plan to clean the walls thoroughly before painting to get rid of the hairspray etc. What should I use to clean and how do I go about painting over the wallpaper? Type of paint? Can this be done? Help please!! I hate my bathroom look and my husband is too lazy and afraid to remodel.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-00, 09:26 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Painting paper is not advised but if you must,prime with an oil primer like Kilz.Follow with paint of your choice.The problem with painted paper is that it looks like painted paper.Also the primer and paint can cause bubbles that may or may not dry out.

Old 07-30-00, 09:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:gardengirl

Want a more professionial and longer lasting paint job over the wall paper? Then do as mentioned in the posting from mike.

However, after applying the oil based wall sealer and primer, cover it with two seperate coats of water based flat. Then apply a semi gloss or high gloss bathroom paint of the color you want.

The two coats of flat over the primer will cover better and make an excellent under coat for the finish coat to adhere to.

The additional work will make for a better finished job which will both cover better and last longer.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Old 07-31-00, 05:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thank you very much TomBartco. I appreciate you time in replying to my dilemma. Do you think I should use a certain type of cleaner before I do the primer? Will whatever I use affect the outcome?

Hi:gardengirl

Want a more professionial and longer lasting paint job over the wall paper? Then do as mentioned in the posting from mike.

However, after applying the oil based wall sealer and primer, cover it with two seperate coats of water based flat. Then apply a semi gloss or high gloss bathroom paint of the color you want.

The two coats of flat over the primer will cover better and make an excellent under coat for the finish coat to adhere to.

The additional work will make for a better finished job which will both cover better and last longer.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
[/QUOTE]