Painting Over Electric Baseboard Heaters

Old 07-30-00, 05:48 AM
Chief Bob
Visiting Guest
I need to re-finish the electric baseboard heaters that are 20 years old. Any recommendations for removing the old paint and what new paint to use? They get warm but not real hot, so I'm not sure if I need a specialty paint for the heat. Thanks in advance. Bob

Old 07-30-00, 07:47 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I have a couple of questions.Is the paint that is on the heaters the factory finish or have they been painted with house paint?If they have been painted with house paint is it holding up to the heat or is this why you would like to strip?Hi heat engine enamel would not cost any more than regular spray paint if bought at Auto Zone or Carport.I have painted many heaters but I never paint the grill that is directly in front of the heat.My theory is that if it's not there it can't peel or burn off.

Old 07-31-00, 05:52 AM
Chief Bob
Visiting Guest
Question

Mike, the heaters are original (factory-painted), but after 20 years they have some rust and paint chipped off. There is no grill, per se, just a metal covering above and in front of the heating element. They do not get red-hot, just warm. Thanks, Bob

Old 07-31-00, 06:40 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I wouldn't strip the heaters.That would lead to a raw metal situation.Would be better to remove rust sand with 220 grit and paint.For best look use a high quality spray enamel.Try to prevent paint from getting to the element if possible to prevent burning off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: