New paint job peeling by the yard

Old 07-27-00, 03:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just finished painting a second coat of semi-gloss in the bathroom and noticed what looked like a splatter. When I tried to fix it, it turned out to be an air bubble that had formed under the first coat, but only after I had finished the second coat. When I tried to chip away the bubble, the whole two layers peeled away from the wall. I'm talking about the whole wall coming off in ONE piece. I used Behr Enamel Undercoater Primer Sealer for semi-gloss and A Glidden latex enamel semi-gloss. I let each coat dry 24 hours. Why didn't the top coat adhere to the primer? The primer is still on the walls. Also, I noticed that the other two walls are starting to bubble. Am I going to have to peel all that away and start over?

Old 07-28-00, 07:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Have you consulted with the paint retailer? If you applied your latex paint according to the manufacturers directions, you have a warranty situation.

They may also be able to help you get it right the second time through.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 08-01-00, 03:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Glidden is notorious for that.

was it Dulux ?

Old 08-02-00, 07:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I was able to return the paint and the primer to Home Depot. I was actually surprised they took it all back. I'm not sure if the Glidden was a Dulux and now I can't check because I've already returned it. I've since heard nothing good about Glidden from friends and co-workers. I won't be using them again! As for the bathroom, I've started from scratch. I peeled off the rest of the offending paint, sanded, washed with TSP, and have just re-primed with a Duron undercoater. I'm going to finish off with a Duron top coat as well. Thanks for responding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: