Do I really need to use primer for latex?

Old 08-03-00, 06:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need to paint a bunch of fresh drywall and am told buy the paint experts(at the store) that I must use a primer. I have 10 gallons of latex paint on hand that will otherwise go to waste.
The reason I question the the primer theory is that I had a coverage problem with a primer. After several coats of primer, you could still the color below. We then tried the paint we bought for a finish coat and it covered in one coat.
Is my story an anomoly or is latex primer designed primarily to help me part with my money.

Old 08-03-00, 06:18 PM
Visiting Guest
You would be wise to prime first. Your latex top coat may soak up and you'll need another 10 gallons. If you only use paint, you'll be able to see the joints and where ever there was joint compound used. Use primer and save yourself a head ache.................

Old 08-04-00, 06:30 AM
Visiting Guest
If your top coat latex paint is a quality one, you do not have to buy primer..you can apply two coats the first will serve as primer. Most new homes are sprayed out that way.

Old 08-04-00, 02:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Prime the wall. Primers have more bonding agent in them than paint and this makes it stick better. The paint then sticks to the primer. They also have a sealer in them which will seal the walland eliminate those splotches where drywall mud was applied. Primers have a purpose and this is one of them.

Top quality paint jobs require top quality paint.

Old 08-04-00, 02:46 PM
Visiting Guest
That is correct.

Old 08-05-00, 01:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Buy a new construction primer which is meant for walls like you have described.

Those guys that are not using a primer, but shooting two coats of color coat only are in the "cheap housing" business. Hardly anyone I've seen in new construction is using primer, but that does not mean that they are doing it right. Just cheap.

I always use a primer coat or at least a coat of flat paint. Semi-gloss will show every tape joint and nail/screw spot on the wall/ceiling without primer.

As far as the coverage problem with primer. It is not meant to cover. It is a sealer and bonding agent. The paint does the covering.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 08-05-00, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Timmy,
Listen to these pros! USE A PRIMER. Preferably one manufactured by the same brand of paint that you're using. It is made to bond better, chemically, I'm told, by pro friends in the business. I used Benjamin Moore Sander/Primer/Sealer when I remodeled my entire home two years ago, and then had two coats of BenMo paint put on by a pro. Looks great! No problems. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: