Prep for old wood windows

Old 08-06-00, 10:47 AM
Visiting Guest
HELP HELP HELP
In the process of painting my dining room and need help please. The windows are old with beautiful panes of glass. The weather and age has made the paint peel and collect a dark fungus type of material on the wood. I can't afford new windows and I know I have to do something before I paint over that. Any experienced painters out there with good advise for a divorced woman who hasn't got a clue would be a Godsend. Thanks all........Sue

Old 08-06-00, 03:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Sounds like mildew to me. It must be destroyed before repainting.Scrape all the peeling paint off. I use clorox to treat mildew. It is inexpensive, readily available and works.Use a diluted solution of 25% clorox, 75% water. Spray it on and let it work. Wash it off and let the surfaces dry. Prime with a oil based pimer and apply 2 finish coats.

Use rubber gloves as the clorox can burn sensitive hands.

Quality paint jobs require quality paints and primers.

Old 08-06-00, 03:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Sounds like mildew to me. It must be destroyed before repainting.Scrape all the peeling paint off. I use clorox to treat mildew. It is inexpensive, readily available and works.Use a diluted solution of 25% clorox, 75% water. Spray it on and let it work. Wash it off and let the surfaces dry. Prime with a oil based pimer and apply 2 finish coats.

Use rubber gloves as the clorox can burn sensitive hands.

Quality paint jobs require quality paints and primers.

Old 08-06-00, 03:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Dear R. L. .....Thank you for your quick reply. I was hoping the solution would be as simple as the one you offered. I have a primer that I am using to cover some yucky green on the trim in there. Can I use it over this wood after using the clorox mixture and letting it dry.....instead of an oil based primer?? It is from "Lowes Home Center" and it is called One and Only Premium High Hiding Primer. If not its an easy thing to buy the oil based as you suggested. Thank you very much. Sue

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: