Painting a television?

Old 08-07-00, 08:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a small (13")white under-counter tv in the kitchen. We moved and I now have a totally different colour scheme; blacks, browns...the white tv stands out like a sore thumb. Is it possible to paint it black? Anyone tried this before? What kind of primer & paint would I use? Or just wait 'til it dies and get a new one! Ha! Yeah, this will be the one tv that lasts for 25 years won't it?!

Jego
Ontario, Canada

Old 08-08-00, 05:44 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
You can paint your TV.Clean well if it has any oil or whatever.If it is very shiny plastic sand with 220 grit.Tape it off and you are ready.The last white TV I painted was done with a color called Window Bronze,I believe by Krylon.This is a black/grayish color like an aluminum screen door and the TV looked like it rolled off of the factory floor that way......Mike

Old 08-09-00, 02:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks Mike. I'll look into that paint you mentioned...like the idea of that grayish/black colour.

No primer needed? Any problem with showing fingernail scratches etc.?...or should I try to stop using the buttons on the tv for tuning and stick strictly to the remote? (Mind you, I guess they could always be touched up now couldn't they.) Your advice is appreciated...thanks again. I'll get my nerve up and just go for it!

Old 08-09-00, 08:22 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
No primer needed.Be sure to buy a good spray paint.The cheap stuff is to brittle.

Old 08-09-00, 10:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

Spray paint?! Oh my! I was thinking a little brush....what about all the speaker vents? Is this not going to bung it up?

Old 08-10-00, 05:44 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Never has for me......Just don't get to heavy over the speaker grilles......Mike

Old 08-10-00, 07:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Okay...thanks again, Mike!

Old 08-10-00, 06:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Just a comment from someone who's not an expert but if you use Krylon, you may want to go lightly with the first couple of coats just in case the paint wants to interact with the plastic case. And, I think you should mask off the buttons and other controls since paint mist may work it's way in there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: