Painting paneling & cabinets

Old 08-13-00, 05:36 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a very dark wood paneled den. I love the look of the wood grain but it is so dark. We have talked about painting it. My kitchen also seems dark from the dark wood cabinets. The home was built in 72. We have 12 ft. ceilings in the den with open beams. This is what I have concedered. Going over all the paneling with liquid sand paper. Painting it with Kils, then painting it with a medium sage color. Painting the den ceiling with one shade darker of sage. Then the beams and all the molding, trim work with a light butter colored paint. All you painters, do I need to use the Kils and liquid sand paper? Have you ever used liquid sand paper on a large room? All you decorators, do you think these color combos would go together? Does painting paneling look okay? Any other suggestions of how to lighten it up?

Old 08-13-00, 06:44 PM
Visiting Guest
I have painted lots of paneling for people and it looked fine to me and them. I washed the walls first with TSP. Then I sanded them lightly and primed with an oil based primer. Two finish coats of a premium latex paint finished the job unless I was using the so called "deep colors". Kilz is ok but there are some primers on the market now that claim you don't have to sand before priming. I use them but I still prime.

I have used liquid sandpaper but much prefer sanding.

As for your color choices, I put on what the client wants in the way of color. Try the Decorating section.

[This message has been edited by R. L. Boatright (edited August 13, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: