whole house interior paint

Old 03-21-09, 02:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking whole house interior paint

Hello there,

My husband and I purchased a home (two years new) and we are having it repainted (from the original builder's paint) by a professional. To keep our cost down, we want the painter to use the same colour and type of paint in every room. I know that he uses BM paint. I will make sure that it is either middle or top of the line. We want a finish that will allow us to clean off dirt/marks without leaving any smudges behind (evidence of having cleaned the surface). We like the look of a "flat" paint, but found out the hard way that you can not clean it at all! What all-over (whole home) paint finish would you recommend? I especially want the main rooms (living area, kitchen and dining room) to look amazing.
Thanks so much for your help! This site is so informative, glad I'm a member now. Maeve

Old 03-21-09, 05:28 PM
S
Don't use a rag to wash the wall, you will burnish the paint. Use a sponge instead.

A semi gloss will wash better than a flat, but many do not like the high sheen of a semi gloss.

This leaves satin or eggshell as the next option. A satin or eggshell will be more apt to burnishing than a semi gloss, but is usually considered the best compromise of washability and looks.

Old 03-22-09, 05:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I agree that satin/eggshell would be a good choice.

Old 03-22-09, 11:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I use BM paint and I like satin finish (BM calls it pearl)

Old 03-23-09, 12:57 PM
D
The reason paint companies offer so many finishes is because not every use requires the same look. For example, ceilings always look better with a dead flat. Trying to confine yourself to a single finish for every room/use really makes no sense and forces you to make compromises in look versus functionality. I get you want to save some money, but even with the same color (which will be a bit boring), you won't use much less paint by keeping the finish the same throughout. If it were me, I'd use an eggshell where I need more washability and a matte for everywhere else. In BM Regal, this would be their 319 eggshell and their 221 matte. Use SG for trim and their Kitchen and Bath paint (satin) for your bathrooms.

Old 03-24-09, 02:15 PM
S
I agree with using a flat for most ceilings.

Old 03-25-09, 03:45 AM
M
We will most definitely Slatz. Thanks for the advice.
Maeve

Old 03-25-09, 03:54 AM
M
Great advice dvab! Thanks so much! You are right about the whole house the same colour being a bit boring. I'll have to talk that over with the hubby. We know that the bathrooms will definitely need a moisture specific paint and satin sounds like a nice finish choice. I know that the flat, matte finish that I now have in my kitchen (builder paint) backsplash area and bathrooms - whole house in fact, is a cheap nightmare (for obvious reasons)! We won't be making that mistake in the new house.
Thanks again! Maeve

Old 03-25-09, 03:58 AM
M
Hi mitch17 -thanks for the advice! Do you find the BM satin finish too shiny for main rooms like the living, dining area and kitchen? Or would it be okay? I know that satin finish is slightly easier to clean than eggshell.
Maeve

Old 03-25-09, 04:02 AM
M
Hi marksr! I know that satin is the middle of the road gloss/sheen wise and is slightly easier to clean than eggshell. If you had to choose, would you use satin or eggshell? And, do you mean all over the house? Thanks for the help!
Maeve

Old 03-25-09, 04:11 AM
M
Hi again Slatz. Unfortunately, we found out a little too late about burnishing the paint in this house. However, we will never make that mistake again. I wish we would have at least thought to use a sponge. I think that like most people, we will find the semi-gloss too shiny. I know what you mean about having to compromise on the washability for the looks though. We will most likely go with an eggshell where washability is important and with a matte everywhere else. I like dvab's advice.
Thanks for the input once again - much appreciated.
Maeve

Old 03-25-09, 06:39 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
It's a preference issue - I like sating finish everywhere but I can see how some people would choose a lower sheen in some areas. Also keep in mind higher sheen paints will expose flaws in the wall surface more than a flat finish.

Old 03-27-09, 03:23 AM
M
Hi mitch17,

I agree about the flaws showing up too much with a higher sheen. I will most likely just go with the satin finish in the bathrooms and maybe the kitchen too.
Thanks for the reply,

Maeve

Old 03-28-09, 04:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Depending on manufacture - there isn't a lot of difference between eggshell and satin.

I always used satin/eggshell when my kids were at home. After they left I switched to flat......... but I forgot about our grandson - I'll go back to an enamel when I repaint next

The flat curently on most of my walls is very washable but flat tends to attract dirt while an enamel tries to repel it.

Old 03-28-09, 11:22 AM
M
Hi marksr,

I'm confused... How are you able to wash flat paint? I thought that all flat paint (especially from my own experience of having tried to clean it) could not be cleaned without leaving tell tale signs?
Do you know if BM sells a washable flat paint? I thought that I had heard something about washable flat paint some time ago, but know nothing about what company actually makes/sells it. I wouldn't hesitate to put a washable flat paint all over my house.
Maeve

Old 03-28-09, 01:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Most of the top of the line flat latex paints are washable. With SWP you would use super paint or duration. I don't use BM coatings enough to know their products well. While a flat paint will never be as washable as an enamel, the quality flats can be washed with mild soap and water. If you clean off all the dirt/grime, the cleaned area won't be noticable.

Old 03-28-09, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
And not a paint answer..but the "Magic Erasers" really do work pretty well. Not as abrasive as a sponge even, I tried taking dirt off around picture frames when I moved..my agent (who raked my yard, mulched my beds and cleaned my kitchen and bathrooms btw) told me about them...worked like a champ.

Not real cheap..but I'll pay for something that works.

Old 03-30-09, 04:01 AM
M
Hi Gunguy45,

I used the "Magic Eraser" on my flat/matte paint and was able to see the burnished paint that it left behind (in the right lighting). I won't ever use this product on a painted surface again .
Maeve

Old 03-30-09, 04:07 AM
M
marksr,

I obviously do not have "quality" flat paint in my current home, but don't builders always use the cheap stuff? Just wiping dog drool/marks off with a damp cloth burnishes the paint! Our new home will have quality, washable flat BM paint in it, so I'm sure I'll be much happier.
Maeve

Old 03-30-09, 04:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, most builders use the cheapest paint they can get by with
Once I started working for myself, I refused to use the cheaper coatings and mostly used promar 200 on new construction. I paid more for it and didn't recieve any extra pay but it bolstered my reptutation.
Many thought that I was just that much better a painter but cheap paint only "colors" the wall while quality coatings give a paint job you can be proud of.

Old 03-30-09, 06:27 AM
B
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
Hi marksr,

I'm confused... How are you able to wash flat paint? I thought that all flat paint (especially from my own experience of having tried to clean it) could not be cleaned without leaving tell tale signs?
Do you know if BM sells a washable flat paint? I thought that I had heard something about washable flat paint some time ago, but know nothing about what company actually makes/sells it. I wouldn't hesitate to put a washable flat paint all over my house.
Maeve
Although nearly all paints advertise "washable," nearly none are "wasahable without leaving a trace." People certainly like the marketability of having washable paint, but really, when is the last time they really washed something other than perhaps kitchen cabinets. If indeed there are areas of your house you intend to wash, the key is to have the lowest sheen possible and still be able to wash without a trace. That best product to my mind, after 35 years experience, is Ben Moore Satin Impervo, and it's oil based.

Bill

Old 03-30-09, 12:35 PM
D
Listen, nothing is going to be bullet proof and, with the exception of certain alkyds, every flat latex will burnish but Aura Matte comes closest to delivering what you seem to be looking for. If they (shiners) really annoy you though, I would indeed go with an eggshell since its sheen is about the same as a burnish anyway. And while there is no universal definition for a given sheen across different manufacturers, there is definitely a difference in sheen between an eggshell and satin - check the manufacturer's TDS sheets.

Old 03-31-09, 12:55 PM
M
Thanks dvab. I definitely know what you are saying.

What are the manufacturer's TDS sheets (sorry if that is a stupid question)?
Maeve

Old 03-31-09, 12:59 PM
M
Thanks for the advice Bill. I will look into this paint. What if the house is already painted in a latex (not sure if it is or not)? Is it a big pain switching over? I know that the painter we are using does use BM paint though. I will speak to him.
Maeve

Old 03-31-09, 01:02 PM
M
That being said marksr, I truly can't wait to see my whole house repainted top to bottom with a QUALITY product. I know that it will look amazing! The old saying "you get what you pay for" certainly holds true. Good for you for not sacrificing quality for price. This will go a long way with current and future customers!
Maeve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: