How do I put a texture on a wall?

Old 08-19-00, 02:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I'm new to this, so I'm not sure If I am in the right catagory for this question, but I'll ask anyway-
I just remodeled my spare bedroom. I've replaced all the drywall and taped it all. I was going to leave it smooth, but my taping left something to be desired :P so I decided to texture the walls. How do I go about doing this. Most places I've looked online tell how to tape the walls, and then don't say anything about texturing...

Old 08-19-00, 07:34 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Honestly,I think you could slick the wall better than you could texture if you have never done it before.To texture a wall evenly is harder to do than finishing a slick wall.Also it would have to be one thick texture to hide a wall that has only been taped.But this is possible.You will need a few tools:A mixer capable of mixing 5 gallon buckets of mud evenly(very important).A paint roller(heavy duty)3/4 inch cover(no wool)and a good rolling stick.Whatever texture tool you decide to use.There are many to choose from,some go on a paint frame, some are brushes and wide drywall blades can be used.The most often used method in my area is to mix mud,about 1/2 to 1 gallon of water to 5 gallons mud depending on the texture, roll on the wall evenly and trowel down giving the wall a sort of Mexican stucco look if that makes sense.You could ,after applying the mud, swish a brush around in any way giving vertical lines or random patterns.One other thing is the covers that go on paint rollers.This would be the fastest deal you could do.These covers come in many textures and can be found in most large home centers.This would be used after rolling mud on wall and then rolling back over to texture.Whatever you decide,if applied evenly should be pleasing...Mike

Old 08-19-00, 08:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Hello,

I would buy a mud-dobber or rent a texture hopper and air compressor. I recently textured my garage with the hopper. I had previously textured a bedroom with the mud-dobber, but I thought the hopper would be quicker. It was faster as far as the actual texturing time went, but considering all the taping and cleanup I had to do, it was the more time consuming method. The nice thing about the hopper is that I was able to rent it from a local hardware store with all that I needed, but the mud-dobber I had to buy online. Texturing will hide small imperfections, but if you very large cracks it won't work. Try sanding and applying an additional coat of mud. Using a wide knife helps. I've found most people don't use enough mud on their intial application and it ends up causing them problems. Don't be affraid to use quite a bit of mud, it's easy to wipe off excess.
Good luck-

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: