Painting Interior Barnboard/Siding Panelling

Old 08-20-00, 08:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Read your excellent painting/prep tips section. Have a 12x18x8high Family Room panelled with what looks like exterior plywood "barnboard" siding - 4x8 sheets routed into 3 to 9 inch panels with half inch vertical grooves. Every panel is totally different - grain and knot pattern NEVER repeat. Brought a piece (attic door) into hardware and paint stores to figure out what it was, and no one had ever seen anything like it. Looks like it was sanded, then oil painted light barn grey, then wiped with a darker grey to bring out the grain patterns. Surface is grainy & knotty but has a glossy look on smoothed off raised surfaces. Very nice job, but VERY dark.

Local hardware store sez to use Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primer sealer to kill the dark color, then a light colored latex paint to finish. Bulls Eye claims you DO NOT need to sand first. Also low odor and that it will also prime the dark grey trim and metal baseboard. Sounds too good to be true at $17.95 a gallon.

Local paint store is pushing house brand Wallauer oil sealer/primer with alcohol at $21.95 and sez I MUST sand first.

1. Bulls Eye 1-2-3, Kilz or Wallauer - I want low odor and minimal sanding.
2. What kind of roller or brushes to use on these rough walls?
3. How many gallons for 12x18x8high room with two standard windows and two doors?

Thanks. I am a first-time do-it-yourself painter.

Old 08-20-00, 12:04 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Ok,I wish all forums and readers could know that when the paint companies suggest that no sanding is needed before priming that they are not considering overall smoothness,just the ability of the primer to bond to any surface.I,like R.L.,suggest sanding and I think that most readers envision hours and hours of backbreaking work to knock the surface down a lttle.This is not the case in most of these forum questions.As R.L.says, just lightly rubbing over almost any surface with 220 grit paper will do a world of good and goes very quickly.As a matter of fact,I would rather be sanding all the trim in a new house in the primer stage than painting.It is truly easier work! Liquid sandpaper is great for knocking the gloss off of a surface but is no substitute for a light sanding with paper as far as smoothing the surface goes.
As for the correct primer for your job,the hands down choice is an oil based primer.The Bulls Eye 123 shellac based is not needed unless severe stains are suspected.The Wallauer as well as the Zinsser shellac will put you to sleep and is very hard on the senses! I believe that you may get by with the water based Zinnser 123 if no stainblocking is needed.This is the only choice you have for low odor and will bond sanded or not.Latex paint can follow any of these primers.
Your project calls for just over a gallon of primer and paint per coat.Figures doesn't it!You may buy 2 gallons of primer and return 1 if unused.That will give you an idea about topcoat quanity in case it is custom mixed.The brushes for latex paints or primers are nylon, and natural bristel for oils.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: