painting bare interior wood

Old 08-19-00, 09:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I have unfinished pine t&g on my walls that has been that way for about 7 years. I want to paint it white, but I don't know how to prep the surface. Also, I want to do the bare minimum to prep it (ie: I don't want to sand, since we are living in this house). Any suggestions? Maybe TSP?

Old 08-19-00, 11:44 AM
Visiting Guest
I would wash the walls with TSP to get rid of dirt and grime that has collected. To ensure a good bond of the primer to the wall I lightlt sand the walls. There will be some dust but you can minimize it by hand sanding. There is a product called liquid sandpaper that you put on the walls that is supposed to eliminate sanding plus Ben. Moore and Shermin Williams (may be more) have a primer they claim that you don't have to sand before applying. I use the non-sand primers but I still lightly sand also.

Be sure to use quality primers and paints. I recommend a oil based primer and latex top coats.

Old 08-19-00, 12:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the help- by the way, where would I find this liquid sandpaper- There is no way I could hand sand my entire house- I'm not that ambitious...

Old 08-19-00, 04:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot just to mention a few. Look for it in the paint section.

Old 08-20-00, 08:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for all your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: