cedar siding

Old 08-14-00, 08:04 PM
Visiting Guest
I have always wanted a nice, grainy siding on my new house. I am a little alarmed that our beveled cedar siding came pre-primed(!) My question: if we use a semi-transparent stain, will we still see the beloved grain? Secondly, whether semi or solid, what kind of stain(oil or latex) would you use, or would a paint be more appropiate?

Our new home is on a wooded vermont mountainside, and we'd like our color to blend in with it's surroundings.

We are anxiously awaiting for someone's advice!
Thank you.

Old 08-15-00, 09:05 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
mountain mama,I suppose the first thing you must do is determine if the siding has a thin primer that penetrated the wood or primer that sealed the wood like a paint would.If you can see completly through the primer chances are it will take a semi-transparent stain.This will show the grain somewhat and as time goes by more and more grain will be evident allowing for restaining that will show the grain.If you apply semi-transparent and it will not hold as in running and/or sagging very easily the wood is to sealed to take it.Sherwin-Willaims offers latex stains in semi-transparent and solid body.I have always used the oil stains.The ease of use found with latex stains make them attractive to the weekend warrior and I feel will protect as well.Latex stains,in my opinion,are little more than thinned down latex paint.If I were to point to one or the other I would choose the oil.Solid body latex will cover completly allowing no grain to show.The texture will be there but no graining.The same is true of an oil.I would stain with oil and this would eliminate the need for an oil primer.One coat of stain,at the most two, will be all that will is needed. I would choose the stain over the paint.

Old 08-19-00, 09:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

thanks for your response. i need to find out what kind of primer was used. i'm afraid it may be a solid primer, because the wood feels rough - as if the grain has been covered over with paint. Bleh.

Now, unto choosing colors!!

What do you think of leaving a simple pine trim stained - to show grain - as opposed to giving it a more solid-bodied color. I think the siding itself will be green or blue/grey. The roof is grey. The doors...? red, perhaps. But, what about leaving the trim showing all it's beautiful knots and lines? Have you seen this done before?

Old 08-20-00, 04:32 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I had a contractor that returned from vacation one year with pictures of a home that was stained the way you describe.He built several small patio homes and did them with solid body stain on the siding,transparent white on the trim.Had green doors on some,red on others.These houses really did look good.I do like that that blue/grey for siding.Have seen it many times........Mike

Old 08-20-00, 09:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I ought do a test run with some color samples.

Are color samples available at stores (paint store, home depots...) and, where is the best place to shop for value and quality?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: