thanks and question

Old 03-23-09, 06:44 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks and question

I painted my living room red and the black crown molding white: and thanks to the advise received at this forum the result was FABULOUS. I'm so glad I checked in here and asked, even though my questions seemed dumb to me.

Now next, the bathroom. There is a red wall in there, that needs to go. They have painted this room in regular paint, and the walls are filled with streaks.

Any particular advise on this project? Is there a specific primer for bathrooms? Just thought I should ask, because I shudder to think what my LR would have turned out like if I hadn't had the courage to come here, and the advise from the paint store wasn't nearly as helpful as on this forum.

Again, my gratitude............Shirley

Old 03-23-09, 06:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 786 Upvotes on 689 Posts
I assume the wall paint is latex but if you think it might be oil base there is a sticky at the top of this forum with info on how to tell.

You may not 'need' a primer but primer might save a coat or two when covering the red. You need to use an enamel for the finish coat - satin/eggshell and semi-gloss are the sheens used most often. You may want to use a kitchen and bath enamel, it will hold up better in a moist enviroment.

Are the streaks only visually noticable? or can you feel them?

I'll be out of town for the rest of the week but there are others here that are more than capable of giving you good advice

Old 03-24-09, 04:56 AM
S
Thanks for responding Marksr.
The paint is definitly latex. The streaks are only visual, and cannot be felt with the fingertip. It looks like moisture streaks, probably from showering without the fan on.
I'll give it a primer coat to be sure. I had never used it before the red living room, but the results in there were so superior to any of my previous painting jobs, that I am no reluctant to paint without.
I am also wondering how long I will need to wait before showering in the newly painted bathroom. It's not a problem, I have another little shower downstairs.
Any other info or advise will be appreciated.

Old 03-24-09, 02:24 PM
S
The streaks are surfactant which has leached out of the paint, caused from the high humidity of the bathroom.

Wash the surfactant off with a sponge and water prior to priming.

Surfactant leaching can be a problem with regular latex paints for a long time after application.

Oil based paint is not subject to surfactant leaching.

Some special bathroom paints may be more resistant to surfactant leaching than a "regular" latex paint.

The more tint in the paint, and the darker the color, the more prone the paint will be to surfactant leaching.

Old 03-24-09, 10:31 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,231 Upvotes on 1,179 Posts
I used Benjamin Moore pearl finish (their 'satin') kitchen and bathroom paint in my bathroom. I have never regretted the choice. Go to a reputable paint store (not a paint department in a bigger store) and they'll be able to help you pick out the right supplies. I personally would put a coat of primer over a dark color like this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: