Painting kitchen cabinets

Old 08-22-00, 07:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We have old dark hideous wood cabinets in our small dark kitchen. I would really like to paint them a lighter color to brighten the room.

How do I go about this? I assume sanding and priming, but should I use an enamel paint? An oil based paint? Any special cleaning before painting?

Also, we plan to cut out the centers of the door to add glass inserts. We should do this before painting, right?

Anyone who has done this process or knows about it, thanks in advance for your tips!

Old 08-22-00, 11:57 AM
Visiting Guest
I take the doors off and remove the hardware to keep from getting paint on it.

Wash the cabinets with a TSP solution to get rid of dirt, grease and grime that has built up over time. Let the cabinets dry and lightly sand with 180-220 grit sandpaper. If you have any holes or gouges to fill, do it before sanding. It would also be the best time to make the cutouts you were referring to.

After sanding, remove all dust by vacuuming and then running over the cabinets with a tack rag. Apply a oil based primer. Ben Moore and Shermin Williams make good ones.

After the primer has dried, lightly sand it to remove any dust particles that have accumulated on the cabinets during primer drying. Again, vacuum and run over the cabinets with a tack rag.

There are different opinions on whether to use oil or latex on cabinets. I prefer and recommend to my clients a oil based enamel finish.

Put on two finish coats lightly sanding between coats and following the mfg. instructions.

Top quality paints, primers and brushes make for top quality jobs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: