Painting exterior bric

Old 08-19-00, 09:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I read an article recently about someone who whitewashed their exterior brick. I would like to do this, however, the article didn't explain the how-to's. Our home is currently a dark red brick, and we would like to lighten this up with whitewash. What type of paint should we use? Do we mix it with water? and how. . .??? Any input is appreciated! Thanks

Old 08-20-00, 07:08 PM
Visiting Guest
While reading were you able to see a picture of the result? Today "whitewashing" is becoming a generic term. Many ways of whitewashing exist.

The three most common ways are traditional whitewash, thinned paint or stain, and masonry stain.

Traditional whitewash is a lime and water mixture. It may contain other ingredient to improve weathering but it always wears away and it leaves white stains behind. Non lime based formulas exist also. It's a simple task to make whitewash, however, it's sold under the name "Kaolin". Lime whitewash is unmistakable in appearance. It is dull and chalky. It can be colored with dry earth cement colors or the newer liquefied pigments.

Both oil and latex masonry paints have been used to mime whitewash. The mixture is an inexact science. Simply add the proper thinner for the desired consistency (very thin). Another paint, Portland Cement paint, a distant cousin of whitewash may be used also.

Whun using latex paint fur whitewash select the cheapest one coat masonry paint you can find, cousin, cuz high grade paint will peer more like paint thun whitewash. Utherwiz select a self chalking masonry paint. Either way will more closely approximate the whitewashed look. Without local information to the contrary avoid oil and alkyd based paint. If either is selected use more thinner (painters naphtha) than paint. Portland Cement paint when mixed to the consistency of thin syrup would perform well. The appearance with paints will vary considerably.

Pigmented masonry stain & water repellant is made changing the color but it may not provide the whitewashed look you're after. If you cannot find white, ask a sales clerk if one of the clear masonry repellents can be tinted.

It might interest you that for the most part whitewashing brickwork is a final act. It will require continued maintenance and there are no easy or cheap undo buttons. The type of brick, porousness, and wether is has been dyed or not, can limit choices of successful whitewash methods. For example, some brick are dyed with stain. And, red stain plus white stain equals pink, not white. Hard fired brick can be painted but whitewash and masonry stain do not adhere well.

Test the selected concoction in an inconspicuous area first. All of them may be applied quickly with a garden or deck sprayer.

Old 08-20-00, 07:34 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Wow,I'm so glad I didn't touch this post!!!Great reply 2000! I am saving this piece for my personal help file.Thank you!....Mike

Old 08-22-00, 08:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Mike,
You're Welcome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: