Tricks for brush cleaning of oil paint?

Old 08-24-00, 01:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Does anyone have any clever tricks for cleaning brushes used in oil based paint? I'm trying to be clean and neat, reduce smell and fumes and be safe. Presently, I just put some mineral spirits in a pickle jar and clean the brush. How should I dispose of dirty mineral spirits?

Thanks in advance,
Jamie A

Old 08-24-00, 08:37 PM
Visiting Guest
It's not clever, but the Flood Company makes a product called Brush Stuff for treating brushes. It makes them easier to clean. Soaking the bristles of an oil brush (up to the ferrule) in boiled linseed oil for 24 hours prior to initial use or after continued use, then cleaning in thinner afterward will make brush cleaning easier and the brush will hold more paint. Wetting the brush with thinner prior to use helps also. If you don't want to clean an oil brush right away, wrap the brush in tin foil and place it in the freezer. When it is clean wrap the bristles in in tin foil or heavy paper for long term storage.

Allow the thinner to stand undisturbed for a few days. It will "clear" when the heavier matter falls to the bottom of the container. Afterward it can be siphoned off and be reused for the first wash. Siphon by filling 1/4" tubing with thinner, thumb over the end, prior to placing it into the container just above the residue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: