Paint an old aluminum door

Old 03-24-09, 04:18 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint an old aluminum door

Hi,
I'm looking at refinishing an old but in very good condition
aluminum combo door from the 60's.
I wire brushed and sanded the chalky, pitted surface, and it's ready for a nice glossy finish.
Aluminum should accept most metal coatings, right? Should I pop it off the hinges and spray it on a two-by-four?
The Atlantic Ocean is about five hundred yards away; offshore winter winds are brutal; a very corrosive condition for any metal, let alone aluminum.
So, what sort of coating is recommended.
Thanks

Old 03-28-09, 04:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Were you able to remove all the chalk?

Generally aluminum can be painted with oil base or latex paint. If the aluminum is thin enough to expand/contract with temp changes, you should use latex because it's flexable - oil base is not.

You should go to your local paint store [not dept] and discuss it with them. They will be able to recomend the best coating [s] for your needs.

Old 03-30-09, 07:44 AM
B
Any time your contemplate painting a metalic surface, aluminum, copper, galvy, etc., you need to put an etching primer on first. Pratt & Lambert Poly Clutch is the brand I use. Every company makes their own so ask where you buy your paint. If you skip this process, your job just plain won't last.

Bill

Old 03-30-09, 03:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigg_Billy View Post
you need to put an etching primer on first. If you skip this process, your job just plain won't last.
I disagree. I've painted a number of aluminum sided houses without using a primer and the paint job on all of them have held up for over 10yrs. I'd clean them and then spray a coat of quality exterior latex with some emulsa bond added [to bind up any chalk that didn't get removed]

There are times when special primers are needed when painting metal but as long as the chalk has been dealt with, there isn't any need for a special primer when repainting most aluminum.

Old 04-03-09, 08:31 AM
B
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I disagree. I've painted a number of aluminum sided houses without using a primer and the paint job on all of them have held up for over 10yrs. I'd clean them and then spray a coat of quality exterior latex with some emulsa bond added [to bind up any chalk that didn't get removed]

There are times when special primers are needed when painting metal but as long as the chalk has been dealt with, there isn't any need for a special primer when repainting most aluminum.
Time will tell...........I'd rather recommend going with the correct prep...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: