Wooden Garage Door

Old 03-28-09, 05:55 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wooden Garage Door

I'd like to repaint the wooden garage door on my house. Having read the forum, it is a no-brainer for me to go with SWP or BM paint. I'm just having a bit of a difficult time figuring out if I need to prime first and if so, what primer I should use.

I bought the house 2 years ago. I'm not sure what kind of paint/primer is on the garage door now.

Am assuming I'm going to need to:
- Clean
- Sand
- Clean away dust
- put wood fill in any cracks
- Prime?
- Paint top-coat

Appreciate any advice as to which BM primer specifically I should use and what that means in terms of which type of top coat.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-29-09, 08:08 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think you need to prime it and I would use a 100% acrylic exterior paint.

Old 03-30-09, 04:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Do you know if the current paint is oil base? or latex?

The repairs might need priming depending on how extensive and what type of finish paint you are using.

Old 03-30-09, 06:20 AM
B
I would recommend Ben Moore oil based primer, and then oil based finish, either gloss or satin, I use gloss on mine.

Bill

Old 03-30-09, 10:53 AM
D
Not sure of what the current paint is, but am 99.99% certain it isn't lead-based... the garage door can't be more than 10 years old and I live in California - lead-based paint has been banned a long time here.

The garage door is wood frame with particle-board inserts.

Was thinking of giving it a light sand to open up the existing paint, clean with TSP, and then use wood fill for any cracks/spots that need some help.

Was thinking oil based primer, but curious if someone could be specific about which one to use from B. Moore - there seem to be 3 different ones that would be appropriate, but no clue from the website which might be best for my circumstance.

Please let me know if any of the above seems wrong or someone has a better suggestion - I haven't bought anything, so just looking at this as part of the "prep" to have a successful outcome.

Thanks for feedback and suggestions.

Old 03-30-09, 11:50 AM
B
Ben Moore is good, any of the exterior oil based primer or underbody products should be fine. I'm just not familar with the latest advertising terminology. They will take a couple days to set up, so prime the bare areas, make your patching repairs on top of the primer, and then undercoat the complete door, before applying the finish coat.

Old 03-30-09, 03:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I don't know how well oil base paint holds up in california but in climates like florida, oil base paint doesn't fair well on the exterior. Latex paints hold up better in the intense sunlight. Your local BM dealer can give you good advice on both which primer and top coat will work best for you. Generally an oil base primer is better than latex primer. Oil base primers can be top coated with either oil base or latex paint.

btw - lead based coatings were banned nationally from being used in residential coatings back in the '70's

Old 04-05-09, 06:11 PM
D
Thanks to all of you for the advice.

I feel like I at least know what questions to ask - I plan to prep the garage door next weekend - clean, sand, etc. And then do the prime & paint the following weekend.

Old 05-05-09, 06:00 PM
W
Garage Door

I too am about to repaint my garage door. This thread answers most of my questions but one is missing.

My garage is the typical rail & stiles structure with panels. When I painted it the last time, it started to peel first at the joints between the rails/stiles and the panels. Because of this, would it be a good idea to first fill the cracks with an exterior/waterproof/paintable caulking?

Old 05-05-09, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
It won't really matter...those joints all expand and contract with the weather. You could try, but its better to just try and paint when the joints are open and hope it hides them.

No Pro..just had one of those doors for way too long.

Old 05-06-09, 05:59 PM
B
If the color is light, I would caulk the panels tight. If the color is dark, the panels will move. 1 brad in the middle of each panel, top and bottom will restrict the movement and allow the caulking to last. You don't want to leave the lower stile open to rain entering.

Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: