Help with paint sprayer

Old 03-28-09, 07:30 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with paint sprayer

I bought a Black and Decker Pro 5.5 electric pain sprayer to paint 12 new interior doors and I am having nothing but troubles with it. I am using CIL Trim paint which I have tried thinning. I added 10% water to the paint, but it was still too thick for the gun. I added another 10% which now works in the gun, but the paint now runs on the doors. I even tried laying them door after spraying them, but it still runs down the recessed part of the panels.

I followed the instruction to a T and had the right novel on for premium latex paint. I even tried another paint I had around here that looked thinner, but i still even up with the same result. It the paint is too thick it just splatters on, but when I thin it out more, it then runs. It seems I can`t win.

Anyone have any suggestions or have used this or similar guns and have found a way for them to work. Or another paint you might reco. (sorry for lack of question marks, but keyboard is broken)

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-09, 04:21 AM
B
It doesn't look like there is much you can do. If it has a replaceable needle set, then get a larger needle set.

Old 03-29-09, 05:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I'm not familiar with that sprayer - I assume it's an airless with a diaphram pump.

Is the pressure turned up all the way?
Have you tried using a different size tip?

The only other solution would be to spray lighter coats until you get a build up of paint [letting it tack up between coats]

Old 03-29-09, 10:55 AM
S
Latex paints as a rule do not spray well with the electric cup guns. Instead of thinning with water, try Floetrol (or Floetrol and water mix).

You will probably get decent results with oil paints, particularly oil enamels with the cup gun. You may not even have to thin them in order to get a good finish.

Old 03-30-09, 02:08 PM
S
Your typo of "Pain Sprayer" is about right. You may want to consider returning the B&D unit and just renting a proper sprayer. With all the time you have spent on these doors, you could be kicking back with a few tall ones by now using a better unit, and you would have saved quite a bit on paint.

Beer 4U2

SirWired

Old 03-30-09, 02:49 PM
B
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
Your typo of "Pain Sprayer" is about right. You may want to consider returning the B&D unit and just renting a proper sprayer. With all the time you have spent on these doors, you could be kicking back with a few tall ones by now using a better unit, and you would have saved quite a bit on paint.

Beer 4U2

SirWired
That's good...sometimes it's not the gun...but the gunman...you should try to get your mixology so you can have a nice wet pattern. Hold the gun back 12" - 16" from the doors while vertical, and dust the paint on. If you're too close it will run, too far away and it won't be a wet pattern. I have a $35 cup gun I bought from Sears about 35 years ago, and aside from the fact I don't clean it properly all the time, it works just fine. I'm in the process of spraying some colored marine varnish on the swim platform for my boat now...

Bill