paint bubbling only on one area in bathroom

Old 09-07-00, 10:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

There is one area in our bathroom that keeps bubbling. I'll explain everythin we did, hopefully someone can help. First we took old tiles of the walls and scraped the adhesive. We then patched and sanded the walls. We then primed with an oil based bonding primer, and followd with two coats of latex semi-gloss. The whole bathroom looks great except for one small area on the wall near the tub. The paint keeps bubbling and chipping off. My husband has resanded, reprimed and repainted twice and it keeps on hapening. Any suggestions?

Old 09-08-00, 04:52 AM
Visiting Guest
This is a common problem that happens when removing a wall covering and painting. What prbably has happened is when you removed the tile it broke loose the paper from the sheetrock but did not peel up, so therefor it produces a blister when painted. About the only way to remedy this is to cut out the blister with a razor, when cutting make sure to cut slightly bigger than the blister, remove any more loose paper inside the spot you will then need to apply joint compound, useing a mud knife bigger than the cutout(not nesasarily has to be bigger, but is easier)apply the joint compound and wipe down smooth, the mud will shrink so 2 or 3 applications mat be nesasary, waiting for each app. to dry before proceding. Don't try to build the mud up, but apply smooth. After it dries use 150 grit sandpaper to sand it smooth, spot prime, and spot paint it. You may then have to re-paint the wall from corner to corner for best results

Old 09-11-00, 01:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Chipfo, Thanks for your advice about the paint bubbling in our bathroom. However, one detail Ileft out was that we have plaster walls. Would we fix it the same way?

Old 09-11-00, 08:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Hmm, It sounds as if maybe the plaster was damp when you primed it, if this is the case the primer will not adhere to it, you could cut out the blister and let it sit a couple days,if the plaster is damaged get a tub of plaster repair at the hardware store, they sell a latex type at Sherwin Williams,also get a plastic 6" putty knife for applying, be sure to let it dry completely before priming and painting.

If it was not moister, cut out the blister and look at the back of the cutout blister, did it come off clean or did it pull some plaster with it? If it pulled a thin layer of plaster with it, it could be a soft spot in the plaster, you may try to scrape out the soft stuff and repair, let dry, prime and paint.(don't go crazy, if it looks as if it will go on forever, you may want to call a plaster man)

I would wait for more opinions, somebody may have the answer, plaster is not my specialty, the above is what I would check if it was my bathroom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: