Choosing colors

Old 03-31-09, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Choosing colors

Hi,
Finding a good color interior paint is very difficult for me. I use Benjamin Moore in particular. Between buying the little pots, taping the little squares of color on the wall, looking at paint in the day and at night, you'd think it would be do-able. But I struggle. Sometimes people will say a certain shade is a "good color." I'm guessing, from experience, it has worked well. Any tips on how to find those "good colors?"

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-09, 07:13 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Colors are a presonal preference. Although, that's what I tell customers who hire me to paint, they aren't satisfied with that answer. One of my brothers has an art background & he recommends contrast, dark against light. The last time I had to recommend a color, I chose Benjamin Moore Monarc Gold. It was bright & easy on the eyes.

Old 04-01-09, 04:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
A 'good' color is one that the customer [and hopefully others] likes

Colors are often picked by what compliments the surroundings. Since you are having trouble deciding, you might enlist the help of family and friends. Remember the worst that can happen is, you don't care for the color after it's on and you have to repaint. Of all the things that can be done to your home - paint is probably the cheapest

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 04-01-09, 05:51 PM
Q
I agree it depends on all the colors that surround the walls. Flooring, furniture, accessories, etc., and your likes and dislikes.

This is a piece I wrote about choosing colors some time ago.

Color Your World!
Color can enhance our life, affect our moods, and showcase our personality. Whether your colors are soft and understated, vibrant and bold, or pure and simple, color makes a statement. Color can make a room look large or small, light or dark, warm or cool, and even vibrant or relaxing.

Perhaps you may favor harmonious colors, contrasting colors or even neutral tones. Some people say there are rules to using color. We say, it all depends on how you use your color! Whatever your color preference may be, we can help you define and decide on how you want to color your world. Our trained consultants will help you choose your colors and provide guidelines on how best to use them.

So choosing colors is a task in itself. If there was a way for you to upload photos and extend more info, perhaps someone could give you a little more direction. Wish I could be more help, but without being there and seeing your room, it's pretty impossible.......

Old 04-03-09, 07:17 AM
B
A great way to pick colors is to drive through a development or keep an eye out at a mall and see what types of colors you like. Then you simply get a color book and match it up. I have people stop by my houe all the time and ask about the color, of course it was color mixed by me and not easily copied.

Bill