Mega peeling

Old 09-17-00, 05:45 PM
Visiting Guest
I was starting to prep my kitchen walls for painting. In some spots around where I removed the molding, there were loose edges of paint. I can peel off the top layer of paint in sheets. To me it looks like the previous owners painted latex over oil. Now instead of what I thought would be a simple paint job, I am sure will take extra steps in preping. What do I need to do? I want to stick with latex. The old paint (dark orange ewww)is probably 40 years old. It almost has a feel of plastic. If I sand the orange, and prep the rest as usual, will there be problems in the future?

Old 09-17-00, 07:56 PM
Visiting Guest
From your description: it's possible that the surface was not sanded or etched prior to painting (regardless of the type of paint). A very strong solution of TSP in very hot water and some elbow grease will remove most of the peeling paint. A wallpaper steamer can be helpful also. Afterward sand the base and use a liquid sandpaper to dull, then prime and repaint. The other course is to skim coat the affected areas or the entire room. Solution B is not the best solution but it's sometimes used for expedience.

Old 09-17-00, 08:24 PM
Visiting Guest
That is a mess, improper prep work is the main cause of peeling paint, moister behind the paint (water damage) is a close second.

I would try the TSP and hot water, wiping it on the paint that is peeling, wait a few minutes, keep it damp, and see just how much you can peel off, it will be best to get all you can off(without damaging the original paint if possible), putting a good quality paint on top of paint that is not adhered properly won't make it adhere. If the paint comes off let it dry and prime with an oil based primer such as kilz, then you can paint over with latex.

If you are having problems with our options, please post back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: