Painting glossy metal

Old 09-17-00, 05:15 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm painting my central air conditioner. What kind of prep work needs to be done on glossy metal? I tried liquid sander but it did not dull the gloss.

Old 09-17-00, 07:41 PM
Visiting Guest
If it's unpainted and it's steel or stainless steel it should be etched. If it's aluminum any oxide should be removed and then be lightly sanded with mineral spirts and wet or dry sandpaper. Afterward an adhesion promoter will greatly improve the results of either. Industrial enamel or spray paint could be used for topcoating.

Metal etching products (acids and blends of) can be found at some major paint retail stores and at any paint store that caters to automotive paint shops. The same applies to metal adhesion promoters. Aluminum cleaners (Nice & Easy is one) can be found at most hardware stores.

If it has a clear protective coating, clean, wet sand, then apply an adhesion promoter for plastic (ask for a fiberglass adhesion promoter).

Old 09-17-00, 07:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Is it bare metal or factory painted? I am assuming it is painted. If it is painted try regular sand paper(180 or 220 grit), and paint over with a good oil based paint, if you want latex you can primer first(oil), then paint.

If it is bare metal lightly sand with a high grit emory cloth, a DTM(Direct to metal)paint can be purchased at your local pro paint store, latex DTM works very well. If it is a bare metal that will rust, I would recomend an oil based metal primer before painting.

Remember to get interior or exterior primer and paint, whichever is the case.

I didn't see 2000's post until after I posted, those are good options also.

[This message has been edited by Chipfo (edited September 17, 2000).]

Old 09-19-00, 09:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks to each of you for your response. I should have been more specific. . .the metal is factory-painted, and has a glossy sheen to it. I experimented with an oil-based paint but it didn't adhere. Since I do not care to spend too much time on this, I'm going to try to just sand it using the 180 or 220 grit.

Old 09-19-00, 06:45 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Sherry Miller, Another option is to sand, wipe with mineral spirits and coat with a 100% acrylic eggshell or glossier. This will avoid the need for a second can of paint(oil primer)....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: