Can I Use Sand Paint to Paint Textured Ceiling?

Old 09-21-00, 05:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have textured ceilings and some spots have lost their texture. Can I paint over the ceiling with sand paint to restore the look? Also, any particular brand that stands out more than the rest? It's been a long time since I've done any painting and I never painted over a textured ceiling. I would imagine using a roller would be best with a brush for the hard to get at places. I need help on this project. Thanks...

Old 09-21-00, 11:44 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Carver Ed, We are lucky to have a master texture expert(Texturewiz) check in what must be daily but I thought I would post a question that he, as well as I, may need to know. What are on the ceilings now as far as texture go?......Mike

Old 09-22-00, 03:08 AM
Visiting Guest
It's not sand paint on the ceiling. It's that stuff they spray on I think. I think it's called popcorn. Reminds me of textured stucco. Thanks for your response.

Old 09-22-00, 05:07 AM
Visiting Guest
If it is not a lot of touching up you can go to your local pro paint store and buy a can or 2 of sprayable acoustic texture. This stuff comes out quik so you have to move fast, I suggest little spurts and keep it moving, do not stop in one place until you release the trigger, it is expensive (about $8 a can) and doesn't cover a whole lot of area, then you should be able to paint using a large napped roller, don't apply too much pressure and keep from rolling over the same spot too many times. I would also suggest using a five gallon bucket and a bucket screen to paint with, forget about those little roller trays. Spraying the ceiling would be best, but that is not an option for many people.

The paint additive (sand) you mentioned will not match the acoustic at all, you will not like the results

Old 09-24-00, 05:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks for the info. Would you explain the screen method to me? I've never heard of using a screen to paint. Sorry to be so inquisitive. Also, the ceilings are quite soiled. I don't think the ceilings have been painted since the house was built. Should I use a sealer of some sort? I want to do a good job, that's why I have so many questions. Thanks...

Old 09-24-00, 09:31 AM
Visiting Guest
The screen is to hang inside the 5 gal. bucket to roll the roller on to remove exess paint and to distrubute the paint evenly on the roller, don't overfill the bucket, you can get them at a pro paint store, it is a lot easier than the little trays to paint out of.

You can clean the ceiling with a feather duster or something of the sort, be careful not to damage the texture and seal it with a quality oil primer, the primer will also seal out any moisture from the paint that could loosen the popcorn texture which is a common problem with this type of texture(that is why I recomend an oil primer, then you can paint over with a latex with less worry or problems).

Don't worry about being too inquisitive, I feel this post board is here to pick the minds of the pro's and that is why they are here to begin with

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: