Wood Putty

Old 09-27-00, 08:54 AM
B
BGH
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm painting my wood kitchen cupbords and plan to fill some chips and scratches in with wood putty. Any advice?

Old 09-27-00, 01:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Shrink-free spackeling and a putty knife works great for this, be sure to lightly sand it when dries, and the whole cupbords for that matter with a 220 grit paper and cleaning off dust prior to painting. any cracks or crevises, for example between the cupbord and the trim, can be caulked with a paintable latex caulk, using a wet finger to smooth and a wet rag to clean any excess or mess before it dries.

If the cupbords are painted with an oil based paint be sure to use oil paint, or re-prime with an oil primer then you can use latex.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to mention, you will need to prime the spackeling before painting.

[This message has been edited by Chipfo (edited September 27, 2000).]

Old 09-27-00, 03:42 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Chipfo, I have seen you advise shrink free spackling for use as wood filler and would like to know what brand you use. All available in my area do not have very good sanding properties. I think I can get Elmers and DAP.....Later

Old 09-27-00, 08:33 PM
Visiting Guest
I usually use Sherwin Williams brand,(although I think I have Dap in the van right now) yes it is a bit easy to sand, thats the reason I recomended 220 grit. I find it easier to use in scratches and shallow dings then wood filler which is stiffer. Anything bigger than "minor" repairs I would recomend carpenters wood filler or simular.

It does help a little to leave the spackeling slightly ( I do mean slightly) built up and lightly sand it to desired "fill"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: