How can I white wash over existing pine panelling?

Old 09-25-00, 08:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I recently purchased a 55yr. old converted summer "cabin" style house.
The ENTIRE house is panelled inside. The original panelling is very nice, but the panelling in the additions is overkill.

I would like to "lighten" up my 2yr. old daughters room by white washing over the panelling (sheet rock is too expensive of an option for us right now) and I don't want to put solid paint over the wood (this is real pine panelling . . .).

There is a varnish on it now, and was wondering if I need to completely strip or can sand to give some "tooth", or hopefully there is a product that would give me this affect right over the varnish!!!

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Cris

Old 09-25-00, 02:41 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
zboox3, To begin I would sand lightly with 220 grit sandpaper and wipe with mineral spirits or use a liquid sandpaper to degloss. I don't know what degree you want to lighten the paneling so I'll tell you what do in that case. Get a quart of oil glaze and get the paint store to put all the white colorant in it they will. My local pro store will dip out 2-3 ounces before adding white so it will take as much white as possible. Get a gallon of oil glaze. Add the clear to the quart a little at a time, sampling as you go, until the desired wash is found.......Mike

Old 09-25-00, 03:11 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by mikejmerritt:
zboox3, To begin I would sand lightly with 220 grit sandpaper and wipe with mineral spirits or use a liquid sandpaper to degloss. I don't know what degree you want to lighten the paneling so I'll tell you what do in that case. Get a quart of oil glaze and get the paint store to put all the white colorant in it they will. My local pro store will dip out 2-3 ounces before adding white so it will take as much white as possible. Get a gallon of oil glaze. Add the clear to the quart a little at a time, sampling as you go, until the desired wash is found.......Mike<HR>

Thank you Mike!

I want to keep some of the wood stain color so that the room isn't "out of style" with the rest of the house . . . just some milky white transparency so that the room isn't so dark.

Can you tell me what the difference is (if there is one) between "white wash" and "pickleing".

Thanks again . . . I can't wait to get started!!!
Cris

Old 09-25-00, 03:54 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
zboox3, "Pickleing" is what we call a white/pink stain that is put on raw wood. You would be up against the odds to try to pickle wood that has been sealed. The above method will give you a washed out look that I think you will enjoy.....Mike

Old 09-25-00, 07:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Mike,

Thanks again for your knowledge and help!

I will be going to the paint store tomorrow!

Thanks for helping make my little girls room a dream come true!

Cris

Old 09-28-00, 11:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

thanks ladybug and mike for the advice on white washing on panelling, I will give it a try. dee(val133)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: