painting sub flooring,please help!

Old 09-29-00, 08:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I've heard that you can paint wood sub flooring but I cant find any good info on the subject.I have a bedroom that is shared by three girls.The carpet is pathetic and has got to come up.I want to paint in there but I don't want it to look cheap.Can it be done? I do want to put an area rug in there for comfort. Please, if anyone has had sucess with this ,give me some instructions.
Keep in mind that with five small children in the house ,there will be alot of traffic in that room. Thanks

Old 09-29-00, 08:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Littleolme:

I think you should use an oil based floor paint. Yes, an oil based floor paint is an extremely durable paint, and I don't think your teenagers will wear it out while they're still teenagers.

The only concern I would have is that the old carpet may be glued down. However, if it's a wood subfloor, I expect they stapled the pad down.

Starting in a corner, pull the carpet off the smoothedge running around the perimeter of the room, roll it up and discard it. The smoothedge (pronounced "wood strips with tacks sticking up") is just nailed down and can be pryed up. Wear gloves.

I would prime the floor with an oil base primer first. Oil based primers penetrate into wood better than latex, which means they stick to it better.

Top coat with an oil based floor paint applied with a roller, and use a piece of sheet metal to do the edging so you don't get "Machine Gun Grey" paint all over your baseboards. Don't use water based floor paints, they're just plain NOT as durable as the oil based paints.

I use a piece of sheet metal when painting with a roller to do the edging. Put two widths of 2 inch PAINTER'S masking tape on the roller side and one width on the back side to protect the walls and baseboards from rub marks. If the paint starts to dry on the tape, pull it off and replace it. Don't paint yourself into a corner.

Old 09-29-00, 09:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Littleolme:

Probably the best tools to use to remove the old pad staples are a utility knife with a hooked blade to pry one corner of the staple up and a pair of pliers to pull it out. If a staple breaks on you, leaving only a steel wire sticking out of the subfloor, use a pair of side cutters to dig right under the wood, grab it and pull it out.

Also, there will be seams between the panels of subfloor that you should fill with a cement based floor leveler. Maybe for the time being, just paint the floor. You don't have to fill the seams with floor leveler to walk on the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: